Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Diagnosis!

Yep, it's the sodium-channel form of myotonia congenita.

Dr. January was wonderful; he really took a lot of time to explain the genetic testing and how the laboratory databases work and such.

And he didn't misread my earlier report; it happened to be one of the few medical reports that somehow hadn't made it into my new file at the university hospital. He also asked if he could have a resident sit in, and he not only showed the new doctor what to look for in the physical testing, but how to listen to a patient's symptoms with an open mind. (The new doctor was listening carefully and respectfully; Dr. January was simply pointing out the importance of it and cautioning the doctor not to be dismissive when a physical cause is not immediately evident.)

Dr. January recommends trying a medication-only approach for now, as opposed to making drastic dietary changes. I told my husband that I'd been hoping I'd be ordered to stay away from Big Macs, because I might be able to do it under doctor's orders, but I certainly won't listen to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment