Monday, August 9, 2010

Medication Setback (crossposted to the sister blog, Another Invisible Illness)

I was prescribed carbamazepine, sometimes marketed as Tegretol. The neurologist who prescribed it had me start with less than a half dose and build up slowly to a full dose.

I didn't think too much of the wooziness; after all, one of the reasons for starting small was that the medicine can give users a drunken feeling and it's best to adjust to its effects gradually.

I also wasn't too concerned about the flu-like symptoms; I just thought they were part of the drunken feeling I was supposed to be experiencing. About the time I started taking the full dose, I noticed swollen lymph nodes. That was a little more concerning, but I hoped they'd go away.

Last night I noticed a rash, first on my legs and arms, and then on my back. By today, it was all over my body, including my face.

The itch from it is agonizing.

The neurologist who prescribed the medicine said to stop taking it immediately and to see my general practitioner. I'm still waiting for my general practitioner's office to get back to me. I've already explained my symptoms to the receptionist; now I'm just waiting to see if the doctor wants to see me, or if he's just going to call in a prescription for steroids.

I have no idea what I'll need to try next for the muscle tightness and pain; the neurologist won't prescribe anything until this reaction clears up.

I'm posting a couple of photos of my legs/feet. They don't really do this rash justice, though, because the flash largely washed out the redness:



No comments:

Post a Comment